The Writing Center will be open for tutoring from Wednesday, September 9, 2020 through Friday, December 11, 2020. If you are mandated for tutoring, recommended for tutoring, or simply wish to work with a tutor to improve your writing skills, please call our front desk (973-353-5847) to schedule a time to meet with a tutor.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION RE: COVID-19
All tutoring will be virtual. When you schedule your appointment, you will be given the link to your tutor. During your virtual session you will be able to see and converse with your tutor, share documents, etc.
Mondays: 9:00 AM - 7:45 PM
Tuesdays: 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Wednesdays: 10:00 AM - 8:30 PM
Thursdays: 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Fridays: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Saturdays: 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Sundays: 2:30 PM - 5:30 PM
To make an appointment for tutoring:
Call our front desk: 973.353.5847
Come into the Writing Center: Conklin 126
Email us: email@example.com
Becoming a Tutor: Requirements
In order to be considered for a Writing Tutor position, you must:
- Have at a 3.0 grade point average
- Have an A or B in both English Composition 101 and 102
- Be recommended by two professors
- Be interested in learning about diverse ways of thinking, learning, and communicating
- Be a good writer yourself
How to Apply
There are four steps to applying for a writing tutor position:
- Application: You will need to complete the following application form and submit it to Writing Center Director, Marne Benson, (firstname.lastname@example.org), along with an informal copy of your most recent transcript.
- Recommendation: You need to be recommended by two professors. (Recommending professors can use the following forms or can email Writing Center Director, Marne Benson, at email@example.com.)
- Interview: During the interview, the Writing Center Director will ask a series of questions to learn more about you, explain what's involved in being a tutor, and answer any questions you have. You do not need to bring anything to the interview.
- Writing/Reading Sample: At the end of the interview, you'll be asked to read and respond in writing to a sample student essay.
- Training and Evaluation: If hired as a tutor, you will be required to participate in ongoing tutor training and evaluations.
Writing Center Manager
Rutgers-Newark Writing Center
175 University Avenue
Newark, New Jersey 07102
WRITING CENTER WORKSHOPS - SPRING 2020
If you would like additional support in your Communication Skills or English Composition course, consider attending one of our mid-semester workshops. The workshops are designed to help you tackle various types of essay assignments, organize your ideas, gather quotes, and analyze them effectively.
Each workshop is held during a free period and again during evening hours in order to accommodate your schedules. You do not need to register for these workshops, but we do ask that you arrive promptly at the beginning of the session to minimize disruption of the workshop in progress. All workshops will be held in Conklin 139.
Workshops Topics and Dates - TBA