CORONA VIRUS RELATED CHANGES
TUTORING FOR THE WEEK OF SPRING BREAK: 3/16/2020 - 3/20/2020
The Rutgers University-Newark tutorial centers, The Learning Center does not offer tutoring during the week of Spring Break (March16 through March 20, 2020). Following Spring Break we will be offering remote tutoring during our scheduled hours: Monday through Friday, 10:00 am to 5:30 pm.
Learning Center: To speak with learning center personnel, please call us at 973-353-5608 between 9-5 PM, M-F. We will return your call within the hour. You may also contact us via email at email@example.com.
Information for remote tutoring access will be shared with you prior to next week start. Please contact the Learning to ask about individual tutoring. Students who currently receive individual tutoring will be contacted about their preference to continue.
What is individual tutoring?
Individual tutoring is a weekly one-on-one meeting between a tutor and tutee to address understanding of course content. This service is available only for those courses for which we offer group tutoring. The service is available during the Spring and Fall semesters to matriculated students after ADD/DROP period ends until three weeks prior to the last day of classes that semester.
Who is eligible for individual tutoring?
Matriculated students that are eligible for this service meet two or more of the following conditions:
- They are repeating the course for which they are seeking individual tutoring.
- They have attended multiple group tutoring sessions through the RLC, but show little to no sign of progress in their course. We ask that you wait until you've attended group tutoring for at least 6 hours prior to submitting your request.
- A full-time Rutgers University faculty or staff member refers them for this service.
- They have some other special circumstance and believe individual tutoring would greatly benefit them and have a strong case for this request.
How do I sign up?
Before requesting individual tutoring, you must attend at least 6 hours of group tutoring sessions for the course you wish to receive individual tutoring. You can sign up for tutoring through our homepage or by calling 973-353-5608.
If you believe that you meet the conditions for individual tutoring please complete this form. The RLC staff will review your application and notify you if your request was accepted. Please be sure to read the policy and procedures in full because anyone that is accepted will be expected to comply.
Individual tutoring policy and procedures:
- You cannot miss, cancel, or be late more than 2 times. Any combination of cancels, misses, or lates that results in you not being present or on time for your assigned tutoring time slot more than 2 times will cause your appointments to be cancelled. If you've previously violated the RLC attendance policy, we will handle your request on a case-by-case basis.
- You will be expected to attend academic coaching sessions throughout the semester.
- You must meet the above criteria to be eligible for individual tutoring.