The maximum number of credits transferable from a 2-year college may not exceed 60-65 credits.
For courses complete at a NJ Community College please visit NJ-Transfer
The maximum number of credits transferable from a 4-year college may not exceed 90.0 credits.
Advanced Placement (AP)
Degree credit is awarded for advanced placement examination scores of 4 or 5 on the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations.
College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
The college participates in the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), which is administered by the College Board. Candidates for admission who have been out of school five years or more and who have not attended college may receive degree credit based on the CLEP General Examination before their admission to the university. Candidates for admission may earn a maximum of 24.0 credits for the CLEP Subject Examinations approved by the colleges, provided they achieve a score at or above the 50th percentile.
Students who are transferring to Rutgers University- Newark from a school outside of the United States, must have their official transcripts sent to a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) organization.
International credits are accepted but any courses to be used for the major must be evaluated by the individual departments and students are responsible for submitting as much supportive documentation as possible such as:
- course descriptions
- examples of class assignments
- Please click for a complete list of NACES members.
International students must test for English and take English Composition I and II.
- For those students who attended both types of institutions, the total number of credits may not exceed 90.0 credits, 63.0 of which may be from a two-year college.
- Transfer credits will only be accepted from Regionally Accredited Institutions
- Only college-level courses with a grade of C or better may be transferable
For more information on this RU-Newark policy please refer to the Rutgers University-Newark College Catalog
International Baccalaureate (IB)
Degree credit is awarded for scores of 5, 6, or 7 on the high level (HL) International Baccalaureate (IB) examination.
Degree credit is awarded for scores of A, B, or C on Advance Level Cambridge International Examinations (CIE)
Joint Services Transcript (JST)
Military Students may be eligible to earn Transfer Credit from their Joint Services Transcript (JST).
How to Request your JST:
- Log In and or Register to JST Link: https://jst.doded.mil/jst/
- Home Page: Click Request Official Transcript
- Search Rutgers University the search bar and it will generate a list.
- Check the box to agree and the Send Official Transcript tab will appear. After it does, click the tab.
- Sending Address should reflect: Rutgers University-Paul Robeson Campus Center 350 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Newark NJ, 07102
Credit for Prior Learning
University College-Newark accepts up to 45 credits for prior learning. To earn such credit, a student must demonstrate college-level knowledge comparable to that required in a Rutgers University–Newark course.
There are several methods whereby the student may obtain credit for prior learning:
Thomas Edison State College Examination Program (TECEP) standardized tests
Portfolio assessment, which is administered through Thomas Edison State College
For more specific information about credit for prior learning and for information on fees, eligibility, and the level of achievement required, students should consult the Office of Academic Services, Rm. 312 Hill Hall.