Are you interested in a health profession?
Are you a first year student, planning on starting classes at Rutgers University- Newark this fall?
If so, joining the Health Professions Learning Community (HPLC) would be a great opportunity. This intensive cohort takes courses in science, math, social science, and English following a carefully designed curriculum to get you on the right track academically to pursue a health career.
Health Professions Learning Community
The Health Professions Learning Community at RU-Newark is a self-selected group of first year students who will enjoy the benefits of sharing common academic and co-curricular experiences while making new friends, exploring common interests, and being a part of a close community of peers. This community is designed for students who have an interest in one of the health professions (i.e. medicine, dentistry, and optometry). The learning community assists students in their transition from high school to college by enabling them to share common first year courses such as English Composition and General Chemistry, while receiving academic and personal advisement that guides students interested in health professions to be successful. Additionally, extra-curricular experiences specific to the health profession interest is provided. If you are dedicated to making your experience at Rutgers University-Newark both academically and socially rewarding as you explore health related careers, then the Health Professions Learning Community is the perfect place to begin that journey!
Activities in this community include:
- Summer Orientation and Registration Date for Learning Community
- Introduction to Rutgers University-Newark and connecting with professors/peer mentors
- Exploration of different health careers & academic programs
- Events designed to provide advice on course selection, majors to choose, and potential research/volunteering opportunities
- Professional health school visits
- Participation in social events as a community
- Participation in the Graduate & Professional School Fair
- Course: Introduction to Health Professions (1.0 credit)
- Open to first-year students enrolled at Rutgers University-Newark
- Must place into English Composition 101 and College Algebra or above (Precalculus, Calculus, etc.)
As a participant, you will be:
- Attending community sponsored events and monthly meetings
- Co-enrolled in the following first year courses for the fall semester:
- English Composition
- Concepts of Biology
- General Chemistry Lecture & Lab
- Honors Freshmen Colloquium
- Intro to Health Professions (1.0 credit)
- Note: If you place out of any of the courses due to Advanced Placement/College credit, you will not be required to enroll in them and will still be eligible for this program.
HPLC Application Process
There is a two-part application process for this community:
1. Indicate your interest in the Health Professions Learning Community and your interest in pre-health when you sign-up for testing and registration
2. You will be sent an application
Note: Acceptances are on a rolling basis