Designed for high-achieving premedical students at Rutgers University-Newark campus who are in their sophomore year. The BA/MD program gives students the opportunity to incorporate medical school courses into their undergraduate program of study in their senior year. Students will receive RU credit for several of the medical school courses taken. This program is affiliated with the Rutgers New Jersey Medical School (NJMS).
Benefits of the program include:
· Students may complete their undergraduate work in the 3 years prior to admittance into medical school - saving a year’s tuition.
· Students may opt to complete their undergraduate work in the 4 years prior to admittance into medical school thus allowing free time to pursue other interests, study abroad, or joint degrees.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
· 4 completed semesters of college, completing a minimum of 60 credits
· As a minimum, must be enrolled for one year at RU-Newark earning 30 credits
· A minimum cumulative and science GPA of 3.5 at Rutgers is required
· Three semesters of Biology (Concepts of Biology, Foundations of Biology: Cell, & Foundations of Biology: Ecology); two semesters of General Chemistry with lab; two semesters of Organic Chemistry with lab; one semester of college-level Mathematics; and two semesters of English Composition must be completed. Two semesters of General Physics and labs must be completed prior to matriculation at the medical school
· If AP or transfer credit was granted for General Biology, two other upper- level biology courses are required to be taken at Rutgers University;
· The application can be obtained at the Pre-Professional Services within the Office of Academic Services in Hill Hall 312, Newark Campus. This application, with no exception, must be submitted by June 1st. In addition to the application, a minimum of 5 letters of recommendation must be submitted on behalf of the applicant to Pre-Professional Services. These must include a minimum of two letters from Rutgers faculty members in science or mathematics courses and a minimum of two letters from Rutgers faculty in non-science courses.
Requirement for Accepted Students:
Matriculation into the medical school will require accepted BA/MD students to complete the MCAT exam by the end of May of their third year at Rutgers.