Peer Advisors (PA’s) work collaboratively with the Office of Academic Services (OAS) to assist in the facilitation of placement testing, new student registration and academic workshops. PA’s also provide all new students with a warm and friendly welcome to Rutgers University-Newark (RU-N) by serving as role models and providing resources to all incoming students.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of a 2.5.
- Completed a minimum of 12 credits at RU-N.
- Attend mandatory spring/summer trainings and work during graduation/commencement.
- Minimum of 20 workdays throughout the spring and summer months.
- Ability to assume a leadership role and responsibility for assigned projects.
- Possess an enthusiastic, flexible, and professional attitude.
- Agree to expectations and implications on application.
- Build relationships with, and serve as a resource for, new students.
- Assist with the proctoring of placement exams.
- Check-in and greet all new students for placement testing and registration.
- Assist incoming students with scheduling classes.
- Lead group discussions/programs articulating RU-N academic expectations and standards.
- Prepare packets of information to inform and welcome new students.
- Participate in extensive training prior to working.
- Plan and facilitate workshops for first year students.
- Perform additional tasks as assigned.
Skills & Achievements
- Leadership skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Group facilitation skills
- Problem solving techniques
- The opportunity for paid work throughout the academic year.
- Become a team player
Compensation & Benefits
- Earn $11.00 per hour during all shifts throughout the fall, spring, and summer.
- Meals during training periods and all-day events.
- Staff shirt & fun novelties.
- A closing celebration for all staff.
- Make friends and network!
- Opportunity to build your resume.
Peer Advisor Program Coordinator
Office of Academic Services
Hill Hall Rm. 312