Rutgers University-Newark is excited to announce the Spring 2022 Commencement Ceremony will take place at the Prudential Center on May 16, 2022 at 9:00 am!
Attend one of our virtual workshops to learn more about next steps for graduation.
Wednesday | February 23 | 2:30pm - 3:50pm
Wednesday | March 9 | 2:30pm - 3:50pm
Wednesday | April 20 | 5:00pm - 6:00pm
In order to graduate from the Newark College of Arts and Sciences or University College - Newark all students must complete the following requirements:
- Complete a minimum of 120-degree credits
- Complete the Core Curriculum (minimum of a "C" in Basic Writing and Quantitative Reasoning)
- Declare and complete a Major (with the academic department)
- Minimum of half of the degree credits for a major must be completed at RU-N
- Declare and complete a Second Concentration
- Minimum of half of the degree credits for the second concentration must be completed at RU-N
- Successfully earn a minimum of a "C" in all Major and Second Concentration courses
- Complete two Writing Intensive Courses with a minimum of a "C"
- Successfully obtain a minimum cumulative grade-point average of a 2.0 or better. (Major departments may require a higher GPA)
Graduation Occurs 3x Per Year
- January: For students who have completed all degree requirements by the end of FALL term
- Application deadline for January graduation is October 15th. For January graduates, diplomas will be mailed around mid-March.
- May: For students who have completed all degrees requirements by end of the SPRING term
- Application deadline for May graduation is February 15th. For May graduates, diplomas will be mailed around mid-July.
- August: For students who have completed all degree requirements by end of the SUMMER term
- Application deadline for August graduation is July 30th. For August graduates, diplomas will be mailed around mid-December.
[ Only ONE Commencement Ceremony is held annually in May for ALL graduates
All students who are planning to graduate must complete the GradTracker Graduation Application according to the deadlines above. If an application is not submitted, your academic record will NOT be reviewed by your Major/Minor Department for graduation, nor by the Office of Academic Services for certification of the General Education/Core and total degree requirements.
Please note that it is the responsibility of each student to make certain that all of the graduation requirements of the college have been fully met well before each graduation date.
Earning a bachelor’s degree with honors is a tremendous accomplishment! Students who earn this distinction will be given an honor cord(s) or medallion to wear to commencement. Honor cords/Medallions will be distributed during Name Card pick-up. The honors designation will also be noted on your final transcript and degree. Honors will be awarded to graduates who have a cumulative Grade Point Average as follows:
|Cum laude||3.500- 3.699|
|Magna cum laude||3.700- 3.849|
|Summa cum laude||3.850- 4.00|
Honors at Commencement
Honor status will be displayed on the main screen as your name is called during the Commencement Ceremony and listed in the Commencement program. For May candidates: This will be based on your current completed GPA – not including spring grades. After the Commencement Ceremony your GPA will be recalculated with your spring grades and if you qualify for honors it will be noted on your final transcript and diploma.
Date: May 16, 2022
Location: Prudential Center
Students who anticipate completing ALL graduation requirements by the end of the Summer session must submit an August graduation application.
Students interested in participating in the May commencement ceremony as an August grad should complete the August grad Request to Participate form. Please note August graduates do not have their name in the ceremony program book.
Interested in participating in the May 2022 Commencement Ceremony? Visit TINYURL.COM/AUGUSTWALKERS to submit your request. Last day to submit a request to walk is May 6th at 5pm.
In order to participate in the ceremony, all graduates must place regalia orders with the Barnes & Noble Bookstore. Regalia is provided by Oak Hall, a partner of the Barnes and Nobles Bookstore. The website for purchasing Rutgers-Newark regalia is: https://runewark.shopoakhalli.com/
It is important to note that all regalia orders will ship directly to the student. The bookstore will not have regalia in-store. (Also note: Rutgers-Camden and Rutgers-New Brunswick have their own dedicated websites for ordering regalia.) For information about regalia please reach out to Victor Harris, Barnes & Noble bookstore manager, at email@example.com or (973) 353-2200.
NOTE: If you selected to have regalia shipped to the store, pick-up will begin May 2nd until May 13th.
The colors of the outside trim of the hood is associated with your degree and everyone will have a red stripe to represent RU.
- Bachelor's of Science (BS): gold stripe
- Bachelor’s of Arts (BA): white stripe
- Bachelor’s of Fine Art (BFA): brown
Congratulations Class of 2022! During the month of March and April Lors Photography will be on campus so that students who want to have their senior portrait taken can do so during this time.
Schedule your free Senior Portraits now: https://myschedule.lorsstudio.com/accounts/login/
Dates: March 21,22,24,29,31 | April 1,4,5,7,8
Time: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Location: Paul Robeson Campus Center - Rm 237
For information on Senior Portraits, please contact the Office of Student Life and Leadership via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lors Photography Contact Information
- Phone: (908) 964-3040
- Email: email@example.com