Welcome first-year students! We are excited that you have selected the School of Arts & Sciences-Newark.
The Office of Academic Services is here to assist you on your new and exciting academic journey. From placement exams to graduation we will be your support and resource center along the way. Use the First-Year Toolbox below to explore the services offered to our first-year students.
New to RU?
Check out our New Student Checklist!
Continuing First-Year Student? See helpful departments & information below.
View the Academic Calendar and become familiar with important upcoming deadlines
- During the Add/Drop period (first week of classes), review schedule and syllabi and make any course changes by visiting the Office of Academic Services.
- Explore Rutgers-Newark! Become familiar with:
- Career Development Center
- Writing Center
- Learning Center
- Office of Student Life and Leadership
- Regularly check e-mail and First-Year Connection Blackboard
- If you encounter academic difficulty during your semester, make an appointment to see your advisor
- If you are still undecided, make a plan to explore areas of interest and visit the Career Development Center
- Attend a POWER Workshop (you must attend one during your first year)
- Become familiar with Degree Navigator
- Attend Registration 101 Workshop (March and October) in order to register for the following semester. Workshop registration directions will be sent via e-mail. Attendance is mandatory in order to register for the following semester.