All newly admitted students will take Rutgers University-Newark placement exam, prior to registering for their first semester. The placement exams are designed to provide information about students' individual skills in English and mathematics. The placement exam results will be used to assign students in the courses appropriate to their level of preparation. In some cases, their appropriate level may be a developmental course or courses.
Students accepted to the School of Arts & Sciences-Newark will choose their testing and SOAR dates using the Enrollment Dashboard on the MyRutgers portal.
All Placement Testing has been moved to an online format.
Any questions or for more information, feel free to contact us:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 973-353-5800
Students must have readily accessible the following for their Orientation, Registration, and/or Placement Test Dates:
- A printed copy of this receipt
- Valid Photo ID (driver's license or high school ID with photo). Note: Students will NOT be allowed to register without a valid photo ID.
- A Pencil or Pen
Students should not have the following during their Placement Test Dates:
Books, dictionaries, notes, study guides or other documents
Calculators or electronic devices
- The writing test is online via Blackboard and is allotted 90 minutes.
- You will be presented with an article and asked to write an analytical essay in response to a prompt. Keep in mind that your essay should propose a thesis, be framed with topic sentences, and offer analysis and textual support in each paragraph.
- The Math test is online and is allotted 2 hours.
- It consists of three multiple-choice sections covering topics in computation (30 minutes), algebra (30 minutes), and precalculus (60 minutes).
English Exam Exemption
- New students who receive an average score of 550 or above on the written and verbal portions of the SAT on the old SAT Critical Reading exam (prior to March 2016)
- New students who receive an average score of 580 or above on the on the new SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing exam (March 2016 to present)
- New students who receive above 26 on the ACT
- New students accepted into the Honors College will be automatically placed in an honors level English Composition Course
- New students who score a "4" or "5" on the AP English Language & Composition or English Literature & Composition
- New students who have completed Rutgers University-Newark's equivalent of 21:355:101 or 21:355:102 with a grade of "C" or higher will NOT need to take the placement exam.
- PLEASE NOTE: Writing course below 100 level will not exempt you from testing.
- New students who have completed Rutgers University-Newark's equivalent of 21:640:106-109 or 21:640:211 or 21:640:114 or higher with a grade of "C" or higher
NOTE: If Rutgers University-Newark has not received your AP placement scores by your scheduled placement test date, you MUST still complete the English placement exam. However, if you submit the score of “4” or “5” after your placement test date, it will override the score of your placement test.
Math Placement Exemption
A score of "4" or "5" on the AP/AB series (Calculus I) or AP/BC series (Calculus II)
- NOTE: If Rutgers-Newark has not received your AP placement scores by your scheduled placement test date, you MUST still complete the Math placement exam. However, if you submit the score of “4” or “5” after your placement test date, it will override the score of your placement test.
- Rutgers University welcomes students with disabilities into all of the University's educational programs. To begin the accommodation process, please complete the Registration form on the ODS website or call the Office of Disability Services at (973)353-5375.
- If you have a temporary injury, condition, or illness that will require adjustments for Orientation, Registration, and/or Placement Testing, please complete https://temporaryconditions.rutgers.edu/.
Instructions will be provided to you within 24 hours of your assigned placement test. You will have a 72-hr window to complete placement testing starting the assigned date starting Friday at 9am and closing on Monday at 9am.