Office of Academic Services | Returning to Rutgers
A returning student is one who was previously enrolled within any college or campus at Rutgers University. All students who wish to return to the School of Arts & Sciences-Newark after having spent one or more semesters away (and were not academically dismissed) must follow the University's re-enrollment process. All students who were previously academically dismissed from Rutgers University, must apply for reinstatement.
All students who have not attended the School of Arts & Sciences-Newark (NCAS & UC-N) for any period of eight or more consecutive semesters may elect to use the Grade Forgiveness Policy.
A student is eligible to apply for re-enrollment into the Newark College of Arts & Sciences or University College-Newark if they have completed a minimum of one academic term as a matriculated Rutgers University student (regardless of which previous campus or school they were enrolled at).
If you have any questions regarding re-enrollment, please contact:
Dean Spenser Nyfenger
- Students must indicate on their application if they have been or are currently under review for disciplinary action.
- Academic conditions will be noted in the notification message to reenrolling applicants.
- The Office of the Registrar at the Rutgers University-Newark campus will automatically record the applicant’s Rutgers University academic transcript after the student’s acceptance for re-enrollment at Rutgers Newark.
- All official transcripts should be submitted by email, if the transcript is coming directly from the college/university: email@example.com, or mailed to:
University Enrollment Services Admissions Processing
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
65 Davidson Road, Room 308
Piscataway, NJ 08854-8097
- For international students, academic credentials from a foreign country may be required. If so, these credentials must be evaluated by World Education Services. The credit evaluation must be submitted to Office of Admissions, 190 University Avenue, Newark, NJ 07102.
- Applicants are required to complete the degree requirements as they stand at the time of re-enrollment, and not at the time they last attended. Please keep in mind that program curricula and degree requirements may have changed since you were last enrolled.
- Please click here for more information regarding current School of Arts & Sciences-Newark requirements.
Application Deadline and Procedures/Notification Schedule
- Students interested in applying for re-enrollment to the must submit the online application for reenrollment according to the schedule online
- Students are limited to one school/college choice and to one application submission each semester
- Applicants will receive notification of the re-enrollment decision via the email address provided on the application
Advising and Registration Information
- Advising/registration instructions will be given in the acceptance letter for re-enrollment admitted students
- By submitting a re-enrollment application, a student declares his/her intention to enroll at the Newark College of Arts and Sciences for the following term. The Office of the Registrar at Rutgers-Newark will change the student’s academic record to indicate the student’s school of registration upon acceptance of the re-enrollment application.
Withdrawal of Application
- Prior to a decision, an applicant may withdraw his/her application by visiting the status screen and clicking on "Withdraw My Application"
Withdrawal after Re-Enrollment
- If a re-enrolled student is unable to enroll at the School of Arts & Sciences-Newark, they must submit a semester withdrawal form. They may also notify the Office of Academic Services at (973) 353-5800 so that their college of registration may be modified accordingly.
A student who has been dismissed from any school/campus at Rutgers University and wishes enroll into the School of Arts & Sciences-Newark may request reinstatement into the college. The student must wait a minimum of one year after the date of dismissal before making such a request and must show proof of successful college-level work at another institution when applying to the Scholastic Standing Committee. Students who have been academically dismissed from Rutgers University may not be reinstated through the regular readmission or school-to-school admissions processes.
If you have any questions regarding reinstatement, please contact:
Office of Academic Services
To request reinstatement, students must complete and submit a reinstatement form (Click here).
- For spring semester readmission: December 1st
- For fall semester readmission: June 15th
Upon review of a properly completed and documented reinstatement form, the Scholastic Standing Committee will make a reinstatement decision. Students will be notified of the Scholastic Standing Committee's decision via email. Reinstated students will be instructed regarding how to make an appointment to see a member of the Scholastic Standing Committee to discuss next steps.
A course of action to improve the student's academic standing will be specified in an academic contract, which may include a limitation on extracurricular activities or the number of credits carried and/or changes in the student's program of study. Students who are reinstated remain on probation and must fulfill the terms of their academic contract or face another dismissal from the school.
Students dismissed from the Newark College of Arts and Sciences or University College-Newark a second time for failure to meet any of the standards listed for dismissal above are not eligible to return to any matriculating program or unit within the Newark College of Arts and Sciences or University College Newark.
Students who are denied reinstatement must wait at least a full year before reapplying for reinstatement to Newark College of Arts and Sciences or University College-Newark.