Students and faculty at an information table
Toggle caption Photo by Isaac Jiménez

Majors and Minors Exploration Fair Helps Students Find Their Academic Path

Every semester, the Office of Academic Services (OAS) hosts a Majors and Minors Fair to showcase the opportunities available for undergraduates at Rutgers University-Newark. Every academic department is represented, and advisors are on hand to answer questions about pre-professional programs, study abroad, and honors. 

Earlier this week, OAS hosted its Spring 2019 fair. In attendance were faculty and staff from the School of Arts and Sciences-Newark (SASN), Rutgers Business School Newark (RBS), School of Criminal Justice (SCJ), School of Public Affairs and Administration (SPAA), School of Health Professions (SHP), School of Nursing (SoN), the Career Development Center (CDC), and special programs, such as Honors College and the Urban Teacher Education Program (UTEP).

We asked Sofia Pinto-Figueroa, Dean of Academic Services, to answer some common questions students might have when deciding on a major or minor.


Information tableHow do I know a major is for me?

There are many steps a student can take to determine what major to pursue.  Students are encouraged to speak to their academic advisor about their interests and career goals so that the advisor can guide them towards particular majors.  Additionally resources beyond your academic advisor is the Career Development Center, an office that is committed to help students making connections between their academic experience and potential career paths.  Find more information from the Career Development Center.   

Another way to explore the different majors that students may be interested in is to take a class in that particular discipline to see if they like it and want to continue to pursue it further.


If I have questions about a major/minor in X, who can I talk to?

We encourage students to visit the academic department of the particular major/minor that they have questions about.  Each academic department within the School of Arts & Sciences-Newark has at least one faculty advisor that can answer questions and help you navigate your way through the particular major or minor.  Students can set up an appointment with the faculty advisor, or visit them during their advisement hours.


information tableI’ve decided on a major! How do I make it official?

Fill out the Declaration of Major/Minor form and have it signed by the department faculty advisor.  After the form has been signed, you will then submit it to the Registrar's Office, located in Blumenthal Hall 3rd Floor, so that it can be processed. Note: some majors or minors may require additional steps (such as completing an application form).

The Declaration of Major/Minor form can be found at the academic departments, as well as online.


How do I change majors?

In order to change majors, you must complete a Declaration of Major form. While we encourage students to notify their respective major department if they are intending to switch their major, a signature is not required to drop a major. However, if you are declaring a major or minor, a signature is required by the department faculty advisor for that program. After the form has been signed, you will then submit it to the Registrar's Office, located in Blumenthal Hall 3rd Floor, so that it can be processed


Can I have more than one major/minor? How do I declare this?

Yes, you can have more than one major or minor. Typically, a student will declare additional majors/minors via the declaration of major form. However, there are certain majors that might require a school to school transfer application. For example, if you are enrolled in the School of Arts & Sciences-Newark (SASN) as an Economics major and wish to declare a second major in Accounting, you would have to submit the School to School transfer application to the Rutgers Business School.  Students should visit their academic advisement office to speak to an academic advisor if there are any questions regarding how to declare a major or minor.  For students enrolled in SASN, please visit the Office of Academic Services, located in Hill Hall Room 312.        


students and tablesHow do I apply to join the Honors College?

Students who are interested in the Honors College should have at least a 3.5 GPA and be in their freshman or sophomore year of study. The application window will be open from mid-March until late May each year. Students can visit the Honors College administrators and staff in Room 219-225 of Engelhard Hall; students may also email at or call 973-353-5860. The Director, Assistant Director, or staff will be happy to talk about what opportunities the Honors College and their supportive student cohort can offer you.

For more information visit the Honors College website.


information tableWhat do I do if I want to pursue pre-health/engineering/law major?        

Pre-Professional Services, located within the Office of Academic Services, is designated to advise and guide undergraduates, post-baccalaureate, and recent Rutgers University-Newark alumni interested in a pre-professional program. We are located in Hill Hall 312, we offer advisement (group/one-on-one), workshops, campus events, professional development opportunities, and other resources for our Pre-Professional students.  

Students may fulfill Pre-Professional requirements through a variety of programs at Rutgers-Newark and transfer to other schools to complete their training.  Pre-Professional programs vary widely.  Some professional schools require a degree, others do not.  It is essential that students in all Pre-Professional programs are aware of the requirements of the school where they plan to transfer to in order to tailor their course work at Rutgers-Newark to the requirements of the degree-granting institution.  The Pre-Professional advisors on campus help students design their curriculum to meet these requirements.  A Pre-Professional program is a statement of intent on the student's part, not an academic major.  

For more information visit the Pre-Professsional programs website.


If students have additional questions about declaring or changing their major or minor, they should contact the Office of Academic Services to speak with an advisor. 


All photos by Isaac Jiménez.