Welcome to the Rutgers-Newark Spanish Placement Exam. Please do your best on this test without using any Spanish dictionaries, textbooks, or other sources of help. Remember that the purpose of the test is to evaluate your current skills in Spanish so that we can place you in the correct course for your continued study (you will not receive credit for taking this test). Once you place into a course, you may not take a lower course for credit. You can only take this placement test once.
PLEASE NOTE: Your placement score will be displayed at the end of the exam. Be sure to print out two copies of your placement score; you will need to take one printout to the registrar's office in Blumenthal Hall in person to register for your class before the end of the add/drop period, and please drop off the other copy to the Department Coordinator in Conklin Hall 430.
Directions for taking the WebCAPE Placement Test:
- In your internet browser, go to: http://bit.ly/2ZL5dTf
- Enter password: scarlet (all lowercase)
- Read the introduction from WebCAPE about the test. Click Begin.
- Complete all of the fields in the student survey. It is important to have as much information as possible in case there is a problem matching your test result with your name. Please enter your RUID number carefully. This is the number that you received upon applying to Rutgers. When you have entered all of the requested information, click on "Continue". The first screen is a practice item. After that, you will begin the exam.
- Do NOT use your browser's BACK button during the exam or it will be interrupted and you will have to re-register to continue.
- If you receive an error indicating "too many connections," please refresh the page and continue working. If necessary, you can log into the exam again and follow the directions near the button labeled 'Resume' on the identity/survey page.
- Print out two copies of your placement score. Bring one to the Registrar's Office on the third floor of Blumenthal Hall, so that you can register for your course. Bring the other copy to the Department Coordinator in Conklin 430, in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies, so that we may have a record of your score.