Closure of IELTS test center
The IELTS US379 Test Center, located at Rutgers University, Newark, NJ is permanently closed and will not offer any future exams. If you need copies of previous test results or help finding another IELTS center, please see instructions below.
Requesting additional copies of your Test Report Form (TRF):
Until August 15th, you can still request score reports from the Rutgers IELTS center. Please email the administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
After August 15th, you can request additional copies of your TRF online here Additional TRF Requests.
Finding another test center:
Details of alternative IELTS test centers can be found on the IELTS website, Online Registration System.
Below is list of nearby centers to reach out to:
IELTS, the International English Language Testing System, is designed to measure the language ability of candidates who want to work or study where English is the language of communication. IELTS is jointly managed by the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations, the British Council, and IDP: IELTS Australia.
IELTS conforms to the highest international standards of language assessment, covering the four language skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking. IELTS is recognized by universities and employers in many countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK, and the USA. Many professional organizations, immigration authorities, and other governments also recognize IELTS testing.
The IELTS test has two forms—which one you take depends on your reasons for testing:
- For entry into undergraduate or postgraduate education courses
- For professional reasons
General Training Test/Module
- For enrollment into vocational or training courses in secondary schools
- For immigration purposes
REGISTERING FOR THE IELTS EXAM
There are 3 required elements to an IELTS test application:
- Online Registration. To complete an online registration, please follow the below instructions:
- Go to www.ieltsusatest.org Click the purple “Book Now” button
- From the drop down menus, choose the Country/Territory, “United States of America” and the location.
- Select your Test Module (either Academic-IELTS or General Training-IELTS).
- If you have a Disability Requirement, select an option from the drop down menu. If you have none, select “None”.
- A list of centers available will appear. Select your preferred location.
- Scroll through the calendar to find your preferred test date. Grey boxes are dates when the test is available. When you click on a grey box, it will become blue, as a “Selected Date”.
- Click on the blue “Continue” box. If this is your first time on the website, select “Create New User” and complete the required fields and submit the online application.
- Upload a clear, color copy of the information page of your passport when registering online. The passport copy must be the same document number as on your application. The passport must be valid and unexpired, with photo, date of birth, passport number, date of expiry, and signature (if any) clearly visible. If your passport contains a current extension stamp, please also include a photocopy of that page.
Test fee payment. You have five (5) days from the date of your online registration to submit your payment. Centers may differ in acceptable means of payment. Check with your preferred center for details.
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis and does not guarantee a first choice of test date. If incomplete applications are received there will be a delay in processing and confirming your test date.
Test results are mailed by regular United States Postal Service (USPS) mail 13 calendar days after the test. If, for example, a candidate takes the test on Saturday 15th, then the results will be mailed on Friday March 9th. Results can only be issued by regular postal mail.
Candidates can arrange for express shipping of their results at the cost of $30.00 for express mail service in the United States and $50.00 outside of the US. Express shipping requests must be made before the 10th day after the test. Results will not be issued earlier than 13 calendar days after the test day under any circumstances.
Candidates will automatically receive a Test Report Form to the address provided on their application form. Only ONE Test Report Form is sent to the candidate. On the application form, candidates can request up to five additional Test Report Forms to be sent to academic institutions, government agencies, professional bodies and /or employers (but not to an individual at a residential address). These Test Report Forms are mailed directly to the receiving organization from the test center, or made available for electronic download, on the 13th day. Requests for additional Test Report Forms may be made at any time up to two years after the test date. There is a charge for each additional Test Report Form requested after one month from the date of the exam (or in excess of 5 reports). Additional Test Report Forms cannot be sent for test dates over a two year period.
Viewing your results online
Your results will also be available to view online for 28 days. (This should not be used as an official confirmation of your performance).
You will need your passport or ID number (the same number you used when you registered for the test). Go to https://results.ieltsessentials.com/ Be advised the upload can take upwards of 24 hours to complete. If you don't see your score right, please be patient and continue to try.
Remarking of your test: Enquiry of Results (EOR)
If a candidate feels that there is an error with the bandscore, it is certainly within his/her rights to request a remark of the test. This process is called an "Enquiry of Results", or EOR for short. With an EOR, the test is sent to England, where Senior Examiners remark it. The whole process takes about 3 weeks for completion, upon receipt of all materials in England. All requests must be made within 6 weeks of your original test day.
To proceed with an EOR request, a candidate must do the following:
1. Complete and sign an EOR Form. Enquiry on Results Form.docx
2. Pay EOR fee (varies by center). If the score improves, the fee is refunded. If the score stands, the fee is forfeit.
3. Keep your original Test Report Form safe. If your results change, the TRF must be returned to the testing center before a new score report is generated and sent. The new TRF is only issued upon receipt of the original report.
Cancellation and test transfer policy:
Requests for cancellation or postponement of the test should be made by email. Candidates may request a test day cancellation more than five weeks prior to the selected test date and be charged 25% of current test fee. A candidate who cancels a test within the 5-week period prior to a test date will not receive a refund. Failure to appear for the test without notification, or arriving too late on test day to be admitted for the test, are considered cancellations and no refund will be issued. Candidates who wish to transfer their test date within the 5 weeks prior to the test will be considered a cancellation and will forfeit the test fee. Candidates will have to pay the entire test fee again to register on a different date.
Candidates seeking cancellation or transfer within the five-week period prior to the test date can receive a refund or transfer less an administrative fee of 25%, if they can provide evidence that their ability to take the test has been affected by serious illness or cause. A Test Day Refund/Transfer form should be requested from the test center and must be completed and returned not more than five working days after the test date, with full supporting documentation, before refunds or transfers can be considered. The refund process can take 6-8 weeks.
Candidates who wish to register a complaint or offer feedback regarding the conduct of any given testing administration, must lodge such complaints before they leave the testing center on test day. If you wish to submit such a complaint, please ask the head invigilator in the testing room for the Complaint Form for Candidates. The form, once completed, would be given to the IELTS Administrator for review.