Honors Requirements for Distinction
In preparation for honors distinction, every student is required to complete the following:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Eighteen credits (18) of Honors coursework (525).
- Twelve credits (12) of Honors-designated coursework.
- Yearly completion of Honors Engagement.
- Yearly completion of an Honors E-Portfolio (Fall 2017 cohort and earlier).
- Submission and Oral Presentation of an Honors Senior Thesis.
Honors students completing the program will receive honors distinction on their official transcript. Every May, the Honors College hosts an Honors Convocation. This event celebrates the graduates of the honors college. Each student will receive a certificate, scholar pin, commencement rope, and a gift. Rutgers-Newark campus leaders, alumni and invited guests, will speak at this memorable event. Family, friends, and faculty are invited to attend.
Good Standing in Honors
Every student is expected to maintain "good standing" in Honors every semester until completion of the program. A formal evaluation will be conduct every semester (or yearly) to verify students are in accordance with the policies listed below:
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is required every semester.
- Letter grades for all Honors and Honors-designated courses must be a B or higher.
- All honors students are expected to make steady progress through their Honors requirements every academic term until the completion of the program, which include efforts towards honors curriculum, engagement and e-portfolio completion.
Honors Senior Thesis:
- All Honors College students are expected to have an approved objective of study for their senior thesis project by their fourth academic term, prior to enrollment for the Honors College Senior Thesis Project.
- All Honors College students are expected to complete all required curriculum grades and milestones for the Honors College Senior Thesis Project, as provided in the syllabus.
Academic Integrity and Student Code of Conduct:
- All Honors College students are expected to abide by the University’s Academic Integrity Policy as listed in the University Student Code of Conduct.