Applying for Fall 2021
The Rutgers University-Newark Master of Fine Arts Program in Creative Writing will begin accepting applications in the Fiction and Poetry genres for Fall 2021 on October 1, 2020. The postmark deadline, as well as the online application deadline, is December 15, 2020. We encourage you to apply early. Please read and follow application instructions below. Due to winter break, applicants are encouraged to wait until after January 30, 2021 to check their application status. Applicants who need specific information about applying should email the program at: RNMFA@newark.rutgers.edu
A complete application consists of:
Rutgers-Newark Graduate School Application Application (fee: $70) must be completed online. When applying online, please make sure to select the Rutgers University-Newark MFA Program: all applications, writing samples, and additional documents must be addressed to the Rutgers University-Newark Admissions office (see below) in order to be considered for admission.
GRE Test Scores GRE scores are suggested but not required. Preferably, submissions should be from within the past 5 years. When taking your GRE exam, please have your scores sent to the Rutgers University-Newark campus: school code 2512.
*Important Update* As of January 20, 2011 applicants who wish to be considered for teaching based aid must have a GRE Verbal score of 153 or above.
Full funding applies to full-time applicants. If you wish to apply as a part-time student, please note that in your personal statement.
*PART-TIME STUDENTS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR FUNDING PACKAGES.
Writing Sample Please apply in one genre only: Fiction or Poetry. We do not currently offer workshops for writers of Romance, Fantasy, Young Adult, Science Fiction, or Non-Fiction, but we welcome applications from writers in these genres who wish to transition into writing literary work.
A writing sample (upload online: https://go.rutgers.edu/graduatedocs
The writing sample should consist of one of the following:
- Poetry: 15 pages (maximum), single spaced (a minimum of 10 poems, a maximum of 12).
- Fiction: 20 pages (maximum), double spaced, of a novel excerpt or three short stories. If submitting a novel excerpt, please include a title page and a brief note describing the work.
Additional Documents required:
- Personal Statement Personal Statement should be 1-2 pages long, and should include information about you, your goals and why you are interested in pursuing an MFA at Rutgers University - Newark.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation Letters of Recommendation can be from sources that can speak about your academic, creative or professional work. Recommenders can use the Rutgers University-Newark form, their own letterhead, or they may be submitted to Rutgers on-line.
- Official Academic Transcript(s) from any institutions attended.
Graduate supporting documents upload (e.g. MFA writing samples):
Graduate: All official transcripts should still be sent to:
Applicants will be notified of their status on or before April 20, 2021.