Applying to RU-N MFA
The Rutgers University-Newark MFA Program in Creative Writing will begin accepting applications in the Fiction and Poetry for Fall 2023 on October 1, 2022. Deadline is December 15, 2022.
We encourage you to apply early. Please read and follow application instructions below. Due to winter break, applicants are encouraged to wait until after January 30, 2023 to check their application status.
Applicants who need specific information about applying should email the program at: RNMFA@newark.rutgers.edu.
A complete application consists of:
- RUTGERS UNIVERSITY-NEWARK GRADUATE SCHOOL APPLICATION (fee: $70) Application must be completed online. When applying online, please make sure to select the Rutgers University-Newark MFA Program.
- WRITING SAMPLE Please apply in one genre only - Fiction or Poetry. Your writing samples are the most important part of your application. Send work that you feel is at a high level and shows your strengths as a writer. You may send copies of published work, but we would like to see new work as well. Format with pagination and your full name on each page.
Poetry: 15 pages (maximum), single spaced (minimum 10 poems, maximum 12 poems).
Fiction: 20 pages (maximum), double spaced, of a novel excerpt or three short stories. If submitting a novel excerpt, please include a title page and a brief note describing the work.
Submit supporting documents such as Writing Sample via your applicant portal here.
- GRE TEST SCORES are suggested but not required. Applicants interested in a Teaching Assistantship (TA) or Part-Time Lectureship (PTL) position are strongly encouraged to submit GRE scores from within the past 5 years. Please have your scores sent to the Rutgers University-Newark campus: school code 2790.
- PERSONAL STATEMENT should be 1-2 pages long and should include information about you, your goals, and why you are interested in pursuing an MFA in Creative Writing at Rutgers University - Newark. Full funding applies to full-time applicants. If you wish to apply as a part-time student, please note that in your personal statement. Part-time students are not eligible for funding packages.
- 3 LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION should be provided by people who have known you at an academic, creative, or professional capacity. This might include mentors, former professors, coworkers, employers, etc. Recommenders submit letters to Rutgers online.
- OFFICIAL ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPT(S) from any institutions attended. All official transcripts should be sent to: email@example.com.
Applicants will be notified of their status on or before April 20, 2022.