Introduction to Women's and Gender Studies (21:988:201)
This course offers a basic introduction to basic concepts and theories of Women’s Studies, drawing on a variety of disciplines and analyzing past and current discussions of gender, power and equity.
Introduction to LGBTQ Studies (21:988:205)
Introductory course in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Studies. Major topics will include the structural elements shaping LGBTQ lives, culture, politics, and contemporary controversies.
Politics of Sexuality (21:988:325)
This course is an introduction to political issues, movements, and controversies related to sex and sexuality, and to the academic study of sexuality and gender.
Feminist History and Theory (21:988:532)
The basic theoretical questions addressed in this course range from concepts such as woman/ women, the body, gender, nature, otherness, and change, to more abstract interrogations of the theoretical assumptions operating within the frameworks of critical theory and transnational feminism.
This course permits students to take academic work into an activist arena on the campus and/or in the wider community.
Independent Study (21:988:401)
The purpose of an independent study is to provide the student with an opportunity to pursue study of a topic that is not offered in the wider curriculum. WGS majors and minors, and students in the LGBTQ minor, may use the independent study course as a "capstone" course.
Topics in Women's and Gender Studies (21:988:389, 390)
Topics courses allow the program to offer a variety of courses on specialized topics in women's and gender studies that are not offered elsewhere in the curriculum. The topics generally change each semester, providing students an opportunity to explore a variety of subjects in their WGS course work.
A number of courses offered by other departments may be counted toward the Women's & Gender Studies major or minor.
- Art History
- Art and Women (21:082:207)
- African American and African Studies
- Women's Literature of the African Diaspora (21:014:370)
- Race, Gender and American Film (21:014:255)
- Black Women in the United States (21:014:305)
- Human Sexuality (21:120:208)
- Women in the American Economy (21:220:312)
- Topics in Women and Literature (21:350:360)
- Women in Literature (21:350:361,362)
- History of the Family in the U.S. (21:512:337)
- History of Women in the United States (21:512:273,274)
- LGBT History (21:512:204)
- Philosophical Issues of Feminism (21:730:427)
- Political Science
- Sex, Law and Public Policy (21:790:356)
- Psychology of Sexual Orientation (21:830:469)
- Psychology of Women (21:830:373)
- Social Work
- Human Diversity (21: 910: 345)