The Department of Urban Education's Urban Secondary Education Program is a 30-credit course of study that leads to a NJ teacher certification. The Department of Urban Education's Urban Secondary Education Program offers teacher candidates a personalized and unique experience through its six distinguishing features. We currently offer a concentration that certifies teachers with a NJ K-12 teaching certificate in the following areas: Biological Science, Chemistry, Earth Science, English, Mathematics, Physical Science, Portuguese, Social Studies, and Spanish. We also have a partnership with NJIT that certifies students for Technology Education. Learn More about our Areas of Certification.
The Department of Urban Education's Urban Secondary Education Program consists of nine primary courses that are organized into four clusters. These clusters form the basis of the Urban Secondary Education Program Course Sequence. In Cluster I, you will study the foundations of education, issues in urban education, and adolescent development. You will have opportunities to understand educational technologies, research and assessment in our Cluster II courses. Additionally, you will investigate curriculum design and effective pedagogical practices. Finally, in Cluster III, you will hone in on your classroom teaching practices.
- A declared major that matches one of the areas of certification (see our Areas of Certification page for more information.)
- Two English composition courses with a minimum grade of "B in each
- A minimum grade of "B" in the course Social Foundations of Education
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in declared major
- Passing score on Praxis CORE Academic Test (for information on the Praxis CORE exam, visit the ETS Praxis website.)
The NJ Department of Education waives this requirement for applicants with at least:
- SAT score of 570 in Math + 610 in Evidence-based Reading & Writing OR a score of 30 in Reading
- ACT score of 23 in Math and English
- GRE scores of 156 quantitative and 155 verbal
If you are interested in the program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.