The Department of Urban Education at Rutgers University-Newark has a unique and dynamic teacher education preparation program. We develop and mentor justice-oriented educators who practice culturally relevant teaching and linguistic equity. These ideals are deeply entwined with the Rutgers University-Newark’s mission as an anchor institution and the valuing of individuals of diverse racial, ethnic, religious, and national backgrounds.
This P-12 certification allows teachers to instruct in dual languages, which is a high priority for urban schools and the state of New Jersey. Newark Board of Education offers a signing bonus for teachers with this certification. We are the only department in the state of New Jersey, and one of a few nation-wide, to offer an undergraduate major in ESL and Bilingual/Bicultural Urban Education.
The undergraduate program is a 46-credit major housed in the Department of Urban Education. You will take coursework on foundations of urban education and complete related certification requirements for teaching English as a Second Language and Bilingual/Bicultural Education. You will develop skills to practice an ethic of care and intellectualism that will serve all students, engage in continuous reflection on culturally responsive and critical teaching practices, and strengthen the commitments of schools to support bilingualism.
Learn more about the degree program below or email us at ESLBA.email@example.com and apply today!
For a B.A. degree, students at RU-N are required to complete a minimum of 120 credits. The 46-credit ESL and Bilingual Urban Education major works in conjunction with the General Education Core Curriculum graduation requirements similar to all other majors in the School of Arts and Sciences. In addition to selecting a major, all RU-N students are required to enroll in a second concentration. Candidates are strongly encouraged to major or minor in an approved content area (e.g. English, Social Studies, Sciences, Math, or World Language) for a second concentration in order to receive an additional teaching certification and demonstrate content mastery. Taking an additional 15+ credits (e.g. minor) in a content area will make students eligible for a content specific middle school specialization endorsement. Taking an additional 30 credits (e.g. major) will make students eligible for a K-12 content area initial teacher certification.
- Jump Start Seminar (1 credit, 21:300:100). This is for students who want to become a teacher and have not taken and/or passed the Praxis Core.
- Social Foundations in Urban Education (3 credits, 21:300:292) *General Education Course
- Child and Adolescent Psychology and the Urban Experience (3 credits, 21:300:295) *General Education Course
- Educational Planning for Dually Exceptional Students (3 credits, 21:300:298) *General Education Course
- Intro to ESL Education (3 credits, 21:300:495/26:300:510) OR Bilingual/Bicultural Education (3 credits, 21:300:490/26:300:511)
Students desiring teacher certification should complete the program application before these courses are complete. Students are not able to move to Cluster II until they have met the Basic Skills Requirement.
- Language and Culture (3 credits, 21:300:491/26:300:592)
- Principles of Second/Foreign Language Acquisition (3 credits, 21:300:492/26:300:513)
- Culturally Responsive Assessment and Evaluation (3 credits, 21:300:390)
- ESL Methodology K-12 (3 credits, 21:300:493/26:300/514)
- Foundations of Language and Literacy (3 credits, 21:300:494/26:300:515)
- Clinical Practice I (3 credits, 21:300:419)
- Clinical Practice I Seminar (3 credits, 21:300:418)
- Clinical Practice II (9 credits, 21:300:488)
- Clinical Practice II Seminar (3 credits, 21:300:487)
- Seminar in Critical Writing (1 credit, 21:300:378)
- NJDOE Basic Skills Requirements (provided in the required Jump Start seminar to support students with the Praxis Core assessment)
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher in the student’s primary major
- Completed application
For information on certification requirements, Praxis, endorsements, job opportunities, and clinical placements, please visit our certification website.