Frequently Asked Questions

Q.  How do I declare my major or minor in Sociology, Anthropology or Peace and Conflict Studies?

Congratulations on choosing a great major/minor!  Now that you've decided, the process of declaration is easy.  First, download the major/minor declaration form here.  Once you download and fill out the form, you can email it to the Undergraduate Coordinator, Professor Christopher Duncan. He will help you with the process.

Q. What do I do if I want to take a Sociology or Anthropology course, but it’s closed?

A. If a class is closed, students may be able to get a special permission number from the professor. Only the professor teaching a course can give out SPNs for his or her course. Neither the chair nor the Undergraduate Coordinator can provide students with a SPN.  Please do not ask them to do so. If courses are filled to maximum capacity, no SPNs will be available.  You may email the professor, and if there are numbers available, the professor may choose to give you a number.  Professors are not obligated to give out special permission numbers, even if they have them.  Also, please note that writing intensive courses never have special permission numbers.  If a writing intensive course is full, it is always at max capacity. The dean’s office places a firm cap on these courses and no professors are allowed to give out SPNs for them.

Q. Where can I find the list of requirements for the Sociology/Anthropology major and/or minor?

A. You can find requirement lists by clicking the following links:



Peace and Conflict Studies

Once you’ve downloaded the requirement checklist for your respective major/minor, you can fill in the courses you’ve already taken and keep track of the ones you still need.

Q. Who should I contact if I am unsure of progress towards my major/minor completion? 

A. The Undergraduate Coordinator, Professor Christopher Duncan can help you review your progress towards completing your major or minor.

Q. How can I keep track of the courses I’ve taken, both in my major/minor, and general requirements and electives?

A. Rutgers students are free to use the university’s Degree Navigator, which will show them what classes they’ve taken and which ones they still need to take in order to complete all degree requirements.  If you are having trouble navigating this tool, you can find a list of frequently asked questions here.

Please keep in mind that Degree Navigator is meant only as a guide, and students should see their academic advisor to make sure that the information is correct.

Q. Can my major advisor assist me with general education requirement information?

A. No.  Your major advisor can only assist you with questions and information regarding your major.  For academic advisement outside of their major, students should seek advisement from Rutgers Student Affairs.  You can find information about academic advisement here.

Q. If I have enough credits to graduate and I want to apply for graduation, what do I do?

A. You would need to apply for graduation through GradTracker. You can find information on graduation requirements here.

Relevant links:

Office of Student Affairs

Major/Minor Declaration Form (OAS Version, Updated March 2021)

Degree Navigator

Academic Advisement


Graduation Requirements