Information You Should Know

• The major is offered full and part-time; courses available in the evening and a limited number on Saturday.

• Students receive the BA degree. The transcript indicates the major as social work. The BA in social work is the same as the BSW degree.

• Curriculum consists of general education requirements, social work classes and internships.

• Transfer students are able to integrate into the program and will be advised during their orientation and registration process. Articulation agreements regarding transfer courses are in place with several community colleges. Questions relating to general transfer issues and credits should be directed to the Office of Academic Services  973-353-5800

• Opportunities for research and involvement with special projects are available with individual faculty members and through independent study. 


 • The department has an active Social Work Student Organization and a chapter of the Phi Alpha Social Work Honor Society.


• Supervised Internship: Senior field 2 semesters - 420 hours. All internships coordinated through the Director of Field Education.

  • Work Study and the internship: Involves utilizing current social service related employment to meet some aspects of internship requirements; considered on a case by case basis by the Director of Field Education.

• Internships can usually be arranged to meet the needs of students, but evening and weekend placements cannot be guaranteed. Student must have some flexibility in schedule. Additional information also found on the Field Education Page


• MSW Advanced Standing: available to BSW graduates applying for the MSW. Credits from the undergraduate degree are applied to the MSW course of study if accepted as an Advanced Standing student; a student is typically able to earn the MSW in approximately one year fulltime study or two years part-time study. Many schools of Social Work offer the advanced standing option. Usually the BSW graduate has up to 5 years to apply for MSW study as an advanced standing student.


Licensing and Certification: must apply for and is granted by NJ Board of Social Work Examiners.

  • Certified Social Work (NJ) (CSW) available only to those holding an undergraduate degree in social work. Certification is required by many employers for social work/human services positions at the BA level.
  • LSW-Licensed Social Worker and LCSW-Licensed Clinical Social Worker require the MSW degree.