Graduate Application (M.S. and Ph.D)
To apply to either the M.S. or Ph.D. degree program in Physics: Create a new applicant account on the Rutgers graduate admissions web page. When completing the application, please remember that for historical reasons our program is "Applied Physics" (regardless of the research focus of the applicant.) and is located on the NEWARK CAMPUS.
- Online application ( Create an account)
- $70 application fee
- Transcripts (undergraduate and if applicable, graduate transcripts)
- 3 Recommendation Letters (For guidance on US style recommendation letters, see sample letter, and read reference letter guidelines)
- A Personal Statement of at least 200 words
- A CV (curriculum vitae)
- TOEFL or IETLS scores for applicants from countries where English is not the native language (minimum of 94 for TOEFL, 7 for IETLS). TOEFL/IELTS scores are accepted until 2 years after the exam date. (the applicant is exempt from submitting TOEFL or IELTS scores if you are a Permanent Resident, US citizen, or an international applicant with a minimum of three years undergraduate studies or a masters degree with the mode of instruction being English.)
- Non-degree students use the same application process.
Applications are processed on a rolling basis; early applications are encouraged with a preferred submission by January 15 for Fall admissions and November 15 for Spring admissions.
Stipends: The starting assistantship stipend for 2022-2023 is $30,162, including full health benefits, and with tuition and fees waived. Financial support is only available for full-time students in the Ph.D. program.
For further information, please visit the Rutgers University Graduate Admissions website.
To have questions answered, contact the Physics Administrative Coordinator at 973-353-5250, or email@example.com