How to Obtain a Special Permission Number


If the course you want to register for is closed, you should:

  1. Email the professor to request a special permission number. Include you name and RUID. If the professor does not have their SP numbers available yet, request to be added on a waiting list.
  2. Register for a different section of the course.
  3. Keep checking the registration website to see if anyone has dropped. 
  4. Attend the first class meeting of the course and ask the instructor for a special permission number.  If there is room in the class, the instructor MAY choose to give you a special permission number.


Permission numbers are given to the professors two weeks prior to the start of the semester. 

Note: there is no guarantee that you will be given a special permission number.

*Winter/Summer session SPN policy is different*