The major requires 36 credits of history courses with a grade of C or higher. These courses may include offerings at Rutgers (510 and 512 prefixes) or NJIT (Hist prefix). Each program is subject to approval by an advisor or by the chairperson of the department.
1. 6 credits in introductory western civilization: R510:201 and R510:202. (NJIT students who transfer into the history major after fulfilling the GUR in cultural history with different courses may, at the discretion of their advisor, substitute other courses for R510:201 and R510:202.)
2. 6 credits in any U.S. history courses (any level)
3. 6 credits in any Asian, African, Latin American, or Comparative history courses (any level).
The following 510 courses are examples of what fulfill this requirement: 207, 208, 263, 264, 286, 287, 288, 297, 298, 311, 312, 317, 325, 337, 338, 353, 354, 355, 356, 361, 365, 378, 379, 385 386, 394, 431, 432, 433, 441, 442, 449, 450.
4. 3 credits in Perspectives in History (510:315 or 510:316).
5. 3 credits in Seminar-Research (510:490). Note that a prerequisite for enrolling in 510:490 is the completion of a Writing Intensive course (Perspectives in History is encouraged).
6. 12 additional credits in history, at least 6 of which must be taken at the 300-level or higher.
Students considering the history major are encouraged to contact the History Undergraduate Director or Chair at their university to discuss their interests and career options. In order to declare the major, Rutgers University-Newark students need to complete a declaration of major form and submit it for signature to the History Department via email (email@example.com). Forms will be submitted to the Office of the Registrar and the minor should be reflected on student records in approximately one week.