Director: Daniel Asen
The Asian Studies minor at the Department of History offers an interdisciplinary perspective on Asia for students planning careers in any field involving contact with East Asia, South and Southeast Asia, Near East and the Middle East, including business, law, teaching, or social work. Students can choose from a wide range of course offerings spanning Asian history, culture, language, philosophy, politics, economy and geography. This minor also allows students to craft a personalized course of study and focus on their particular areas of interest (such as literature, film, religious and philosophical traditions, gender, popular culture, political institutions, economics, etc.) in consultation with the director. With this flexibility and interdisciplinarity, students can expect to gain a broad perspective on a diverse, dynamic region as well as cross-cultural competence, two significant assets for future academic study and/or employment at home and overseas.
In order to declare the minor, complete a declaration of minor form and submit it for signature to the History Department via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or in person (323 Conklin Hall). Forms will be submitted to the Office of the Registrar and the minor should be reflected on student records in approximately one week.
The minor in Asian Studies requires 18 credits of coursework that must be completed as follows:
- 6 credits in history related to any of the following: East Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Near East, Middle East*
- 12 credits in a combination of courses chosen from language study (Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Persian), history, humanities and/or social sciences*
- A grade of C or higher in each course applied to the minor
* A list of courses approved for each category may be obtained in the Department of History or by clicking here.
Students may substitute other courses with permission of the director. Credit for internships or study abroad programs connected with Asia may be applied with the director’s prior approval.
- Complete a declaration of minor form available here or from the Department of History Office, 323 Conklin Hall.
- Schedule an appointment with the director. Bring the completed form along with a copy of your current unoffical transcript.
- Return the approved declaration form to the Office of Department of History, 323 Conklin Hall.