If you are a Rutgers-Newark undergraduate majoring in economics with good grades and an interest in pursuing graduate work in economics, you should consider the 5-year BA/MA Program in Economics.
The program is designed so that a well-qualified student can earn a master's degree in economics with just one year of additional course work after the bachelor's degree. The program is intended primarily for students interested in further study in economics for its own sake or as preparation for admission to a top-tier Ph.D. program. For others, the one-year degree program may be an attractive alternative to the traditional two-year MBA degree or as partial preparation for the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) exams. Past graduates have gone on to successful careers in business and government or to advanced study in economics, business and law.
The program is open to Rutgers-Newark undergraduate economics majors who have:
- At least a 3.5 GPA within Economics, and a 3.2 overall GPA
- Completed both intermediate micro and macro theory with grades of B+ or better
- Taken Calculus I (Basic Calculus is not allowed); (Calculus II is recommended.)
If you are interested and think you qualify, contact either the department chair or graduate program director for full details. For information on how to apply, see application information. If you are interested in the program, you need to plan your coursework early.
Applications must be submitted before your senior year.
The requirements for the MA degree are 30 credits of graduate course work:
- 15-credit core classes consisting of microeconomics I & II, macroeconomics, statistics and econometrics.
- 15 credits in economics or from approved graduate courses in finance, business, global affairs or public administration.
Students admitted to the 5-year BA/MA program will take up to 4 courses for graduate credit during their senior year and thus complete the MA degree with just one additional year of full-time course work.
For more information, contact the department at email@example.com