Graduate Application (M.S. and Ph.D)
To apply to either the M.S. or Ph.D. degree program in Chemistry CLICK HERE to create a new applicant account on the Rutgers graduate admissions web page. When completing the application, please remember that our program is CHEMISTRY in NEWARK.
- Online application ( CLICK HERE to create an account)
- $70 application fee
- Transcripts (undergraduate and if applicable, graduate transcripts)
- 3 Recommendation Letters
- A Personal Statement
- A CV (curriculum vitae)
- GRE Test Scores (The General GRE is required; the Chemistry GRE is optional. GRE scores are accepted until 5 years after the exam date.) GRE requirement waived for Spring and Fall 2021 admissions in response to COVID-19.
- TOEFL or IETLS scores for applicants from countries where English is not the native language (minimum of 94 for TOEFL, 7 for IETLS). TOEFL/IELTS scores are accepted until 2 years after the exam date.
- Non-degree students use the same application process, but less information (See: Non-Degree Students section) is needed.
|Application Deadlines for US Students:||12/1 for the Spring semester; 4/1 for the Fall semester *1,2|
|Application Deadlines for non-US Students:||11/1 for the Spring semester; 3/1 for the Fall semester *1|
*1 Applications are processed on a rolling basis; early applications are encouraged with a preferred submission by 1/15.
*2 Late applications will be considered for students who are self supporting, i.e. require no financial assistance.
Stipends: The starting assistantship stipend for 2020-2021 is $29,426, including full health benefits, and with tuition and fees waived. Financial support is only available for full-time students in the Ph.D. program.
Upon graduation, our students typically go on to postdoctoral appointments, jobs in academia or in the chemical industry. The greater New York metropolitan area is home to a large number of chemical and pharmaceutical companies. Examples of companies that our graduate students have joined include Exxon Mobil, Johnson & Johnson, Rohm & Haas, Roche, Solvay, Firmenich, Celgene, Merck, Block Drug Company, Polestar Technology, CrystalPharmatech, AZ electronics, etc. Recent placements in postdoctoral positions include Harvard, MIT, CalTech, University of Chicago, University of Washington, University of Houston, University of Michigan, University of Minnesota, Colorado State University, Rockefeller, NIH, Cornell-Weill Medical School, and Einstein Medical School. Former graduate students and postdoctoral researchers also hold faculty positions at reputable Universities in the US and overseas such as the University of Pittsburgh, UC San Diego, University of Delaware, University of Georgia, Harvard Medical School, UNC Charlotte, University of Puerto Rico, Oregon State University, University of New Mexico, IISC Bangalore, IIT Bubhaneswar, University of Saga (Japan), China University of Petroleum, etc.
For further information, please visit the general admissions website of Rutgers University.
To have questions answered, please send email to the Graduate Administrative Assistant Ms. Sophia Bautista Chinchay at email@example.com.