Newark, New Jersey, 07102
Field of Specialization: Near-Surface Geophysics
Lee Slater, Distinguished Professor and Henry Rutgers Professor in Geophysics at Rutgers University Newark, is an internationally recognized expert in near surface geophysics and hydrogeophysics. He has published extensively, including 150 papers in peer reviewed international journals of hydrogeology and geophysics. Lee has served as principal investigator on multiple research and technology demonstration projects funded by the US Department of Defense, US Department of Energy, US Department of Agriculture, US National Parks Service and National Science Foundation. He has also served in prominent leadership roles in the academic geophysical community, including Chair of the Near Surface Geophysics Focus Group of the American Geophysical Union (AGU), Chair of the AGU Hydrogeophysics Technical Committee and President of the Environmental and Engineering Geophysical Society (EEGS). Lee currently serves as Associate Editor of Water Resources Research (WRR) and he recently edited a new volume on Near Surface Geophysics published in the 2nd Edition of the Treatise on Geophysics, part of the Elsevier Major International Reference series. Lee has served on multiple advisory boards for large interdisciplinary hydrogeological research projects in Europe. He was the recipient of the 2013 Harold B. Mooney award of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG). His numerous PhD graduates have mostly gone onto academic positions and are now making their own contributions to advancing research in hydrogeophysics. In 2018 Lee was elected Fellow of the American Geophysical Union (AGU), with the citation: "for visionary experimentation in near surface geophysics that has advanced understanding of subsurface hydrogeological and biogeochemical processes".
- Low-frequency electrical properties (spectral Induced
polarization, induced polarization, complex resistivity) of near-surface
- Hydrogeophysics: "Fusing hydrogeological and geophysical research to improve knowledge of flow & transport in subsurface"
- Biogeophysics: "Fusing biological and geophysical research to improve knowledge of microbial processes in subsurface
- Fractured rock geophysics: improving geophysical imaging of contaminated fractured rock aquifers using a geophysical toolbox
- Wetlands/Peatlands geophysics
- Methane Cycling in Northern Peatlands
- Elected Fellow of the American Geophysical Union (AGU), 2018. Citation: “for visionary experimentation in near surface geophysics that has advanced understanding of subsurface hydrogeological and biogeochemical processes”
- 2013 Harold B. Mooney Award, Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG)/ Environmental & Engineering Geophysical Society (EEGS)
- 2011 Editors’ Citation for Excellence in Refereeing for Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences
- GEOPHYSICS Outstanding Reviewer, Citation in The Leading Edge (TLE), SEG, November, 2010, p. 1418
- “Best of SAGEEP” 2010 for the paper by L. Slater et al.
- Honorable Mention in the category of Best Paper in GEOPHYSICS 2006: G. Abdel Aal, L. Slater & E. Atekwana
- Rutgers Board of Trustees Research Fellowship for Scholarly Excellence, April 2005
B.Sc., University of East Anglia (UK), 1992
M.Sc., University of N. Wales, 1993
Ph.D., Lancaster University, 1997
H-INDEX OF 35 [BASED ON 150 ARTICLES IN ISI WEB OF KNOWLEDGE] (Researcher ID: T-2244-2017)Journal Articles
1. Algeo*, J., Slater, L., Binley, A., Van Dam, R.L. and Watts, C., 2018 A comparison of GPR early-time signal approaches for mapping changes in shallow soil water content, Vadose Zone Journal, doi:10.2136/vzj2018.01.0001
2. Chen#, X., Comas, X., Binley, A and L. Slater$, 2018, A lumped bubble capacitance model controlled by matrix structure to describe layered biogenic gas bubble storage in shallow subtropical peat, Water Resources Research, 54, 8, 5487-5503, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018WR022573
3. Robinson, J., Slater, L., Weller, A., Keating, K., Robinson, T. and B. Parker, 2018, On permeability prediction from complex conductivity measurements using polarization magnitude and relaxation time, Water Resources Research, https://doi.org/10.1002/2017WR022034
4. Zarif*, F., Slater, L., Mabrouk, M., Youssef, A., Al-Temamy, A., Mousa, S., Farag, K and Robinson, J., 2017, Groundwater resources evaluation in calcareous limestone using geoelectrical and VLF-EM surveys, Hydrogeology Journal, 1-17, http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10040-017-1710-1
5. Zarif*, F., Kessouri#, P. and Slater, L., 2017, Recommendations for field-scale induced polarization (IP) data acquisition and interpretation, Journal of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, Journal of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, 22, 4, 395-410
6. Sharma*, S., Slater$, L., Ntarlagiannis, D., Werkema, D. and Z. Szabo, Specific Polarizability of Sand-Clay Mixtures with Varying Ethanol Concentration, Near Surface Geophysics, In Press.
7. Day-Lewis, F., Slater, L., Robinson, J., Johnson, C., Terry, N. and Werkema, D., 2017, An overview of geophysical technologies appropriate for characterization and monitoring at fractured-rock sites, Journal of Environmental Management, 204 (2), 709-720
8. Lund*, A., Slater$, L., Atekwana, A., Ntarlagiannis, D., Cozzarelli, I. and Bekins, B., 2017, Evidence of Coupled Carbon and Iron Cycling at a Hydrocarbon-Contaminated Site from Time Lapse Magnetic Susceptibility, Environ. Sci. Technol., 51 (19), pp 11244–11249
9. Chen#, X., K. V. R. Schäfer, and L. Slater$, 2017, Methane emission through ebullition from an estuarine mudflat: 2. Field observations and modeling of occurrence probability, Water Resour. Res., 53, 6439–6453, doi:10.1002/2016WR019720
10. Terry, N., Day-Lewis, F. D., Robinson, J. L., Slater, L. D., Halford, K., Binley, A., Lane, J. W. and Werkema, D., 2017, Scenario Evaluator for Electrical Resistivity Survey Pre-modeling Tool, Groundwater, 55, 885-890, doi:10.1111/gwat.12522
11. Terry*, N. and L. Slater$, 2017, Gas bubble size estimation in peat soils from EM wave scattering observed with ground penetrating radar, Water Resour. Res., 53, 2755–2769, doi:10.1002/2016WR019783.
12. Heenan*, J., Ntarlagiannis, D., Slater, L., Beaver, C., Rossbach, S., Revil, A., Atekwana, E. and Bekins, B., 2017, Field scale observations of a transient geobattery resulting from natural attenuation of a crude oil spill, J. Geophys. Res. Biogeosci., 122, 918–929, doi:10.1002/2016JG003596.
13. Wehrer, M., A. Binley, and L. D. Slater$, 2016, Characterization of reactive transport by 3-D electrical resistivity tomography (ERT) under unsaturated conditions, Water Resour. Res., 52, 8295–8316, doi:10.1002/2016WR019300.
14. da Rocha Camposa, J.R., Silvab, A.F., Slater, L., Nannid, M.R. and Torrado, P.V., 2016, Stratigraphic Control and Chronology of Peat Bog Deposition in the Serra do Espinhaço Meridional, Brazil, Catena, 43, 167-173.
15. Algeo*, J., R. L. Van Dam, and L. Slater, 2016, Early-Time GPR: A Method to Monitor Spatial Variations in Soil Water Content during Irrigation in Clay Soils, Vadose Zone J., 15, doi:10.2136/vzj2016.03.0026
16. Elwaseif, M., Robinson, J., Day-Lewis, F.D., Ntarlagiannis, D., Slater, L., Lane, J.W., Minsley, B. and Shultz, G., 2016, A Matlab-Based Frequency-Domain Electromagnetic Inversion Code (FEMIC) with Graphical User Interface, Computers and Geosciences, 99, 61-71
17. Binley, A., Keery, J., Slater$, L., Barrash, W and Cardiff, M., 2016, The hydrogeological information in cross-borehole complex conductivity data from an unconsolidated conglomeratic sedimentary aquifer, Geophysics, 81(6), E409-E421, doi: 10.1190/geo2015-0608.1
18. Weller, A., Zhang, Z., Slater, L., Kruschwitz, S. and Halisch, M., 2016, Induced polarization and pore radius - a discussion, Geophysics, 81(5), D519-D526
19. Chen*, X. and Slater$, L., 2016, Methane emission through ebullition from an estuarine mudflat: 1. A conceptual model to explain tidal forcing based on effective stress changes, Water Resources Research, 52, 4469–4485, doi:10.1002/2015WR018058
20. Terry*, N., L. Slater$, X. Comas, A. S. Reeve, K. V. R. Schäfer, and Z. Yu, 2016, Free phase gas processes in a northern peatland inferred from autonomous field-scale resistivity imaging, Water Resources Research, 52, 2996–3018, doi:10.1002/2015WR018111.
21. Ustra, A., Mendonca, C., Ntarlagiannis, D. and Slater, L., 2016, Polarization probability distribution obtained from a Debye decomposition of Spectral Induced Polarization (SIP) data, Geophysics, 81, 2, E129-E138
22. Osterman, G., K. Keating, A. Binley, and L. Slater, 2016, A laboratory study to estimate pore geometric parameters of sandstones using complex conductivity and nuclear magnetic resonance for permeability prediction, Water Resources Research, 52, doi:10.1002/2015WR018472
23. Ntarlagiannis, D., Robinson, J., Soupios, P. and Slater, L., 2016, Field-scale electrical geophysics over an olive oil mill waste deposition site: evaluating the information content of resistivity versus induced polarization (IP) images for delineating the spatial extent of organic contamination, Journal of Applied Geophysics, 135, 418-426
24. Placencia*, E. and Slater$, L., On the pore water chemistry effect on spectral induced polarization measurements in presence of pyrite, Journal of Applied Geophysics, 135, 474-485, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jappgeo.2015.11.001
25. Day-Lewis, F., Johnson, C., Slater, L., Robinson, J., Williams, J., Boyden, C., Werkema, D. and Lane, J., 2016, A Fractured Rock Geophysical Toolbox Method Selection Tool, Ground Water, 54, 3, 315-316
26. Beaver, C.L., Williams, A.E., Atekwana, E.A., Mewafy, F.M., Abdel Aal., G., Slater, L.D. and Rossbach, S., 2016, Microbial communities associated with zones of elevated magnetic susceptibility in hydrocarbon-contaminated sediments, Geomicrobiology Journal, Vol. 33 , Iss. 5, doi:10.1080/01490451.2015.1049676
27. Weller, A. and Slater, L., 2015, Induced polarization dependence on pore space geometry: empirical observations and mechanistic predictions, Journal of Applied Geophysics, 123, 310–315, doi:10.1016/j.jappgeo.2015.09.002
28. Robinson*, J., Slater$, L., Johnson, T., Shapiro, A., Tiedeman, C., Ntlargiannis, D., Johnson, C., Day-Lewis, F., , Lacombe, P., Imbrigiotta, T. and J. Lane Jr., 2015, Imaging transport pathways in fractured rock using 3D time-lapse electrical resistivity tomography, Ground Water, DOI: 10.1111/gwat.12356
29. Comas, X., Terry*, N., Slater$, L., Warren, M., Kolka, R., Kristijono, A., Sudiana, N., Nurjaman, D. and T. Darusman, 2015, Imaging tropical peatlands in Indonesia using ground-penetrating radar (GPR) and electrical resistivity imaging (ERI): implications for carbon stock estimates and peat soil characterization, Biogeosciences, 12, 2995–3007, doi:10.5194/bg-12-2995-2015
30. Binley, A., Hubbard, S.S., Huisman, J.A., Revil, A., Robinson, D.A., Singha, K. and Slater, L., 2015 The emergence of hydrogeophysics for improved understanding of subsurface processes over multiple scales, Water Resources Research, 51, 3837–3866, doi:10.1002/2015WR017016
31. Weller, A., Zhang, Z. and Slater, L., 2015, High salinity polarization of sandstones, Geophysics, 80(3), D309-D318, doi: 10.1190/geo2014-0483.1
32. Weller, A., Slater, L., Huisman, A., Esser, O. and Haegel, F.H., 2015, On the specific polarizability of sands and sand-clay mixtures, Geophysics, 80(3), A57-A61, doi: 10.1190/geo2014-0509.1
33. Weller, A., Slater, L., Binley, A. and Nordsiek, S., 2015, Permeability prediction based on induced polarization: insights from measurements on sandstone and unconsolidated samples spanning a wide permeability range, Geophysics, 80(2), D161-D173, doi: 10.1190/geo2014-0368.1
34. Parsekian, A., Singha, K., Minsley, B., Holbrook, S. and Slater, L., 2015, Multiscale geophysical imaging of the Critical Zone, Reviews of Geophysics, 53, 1–26. doi: 10.1002/2014RG000465.
35. Robinson*, J., Johnson, T. and Slater$, L.D., 2015, Challenges and Opportunities for Fractured Rock Imaging Using 3D Cross Borehole Electrical Resistivity, Geophysics, 80(2), E49-E61
36. Placencia*, E., Parvianen, A., Slater$, L. and Leivinen, J., 2015, Spectral induced polarization (SIP) response of mine tailings, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 173, 8-24, doi:10.1016/j.jconhyd.2014.12.002
37. Chen*, X. and Slater$, L., 2015, Gas bubble transport and emissions for shallow peat from a northern peatland: the role of pressure changes and peat structure, Water Resources Research, 51, doi:10.1002/2014WR016268.
38. Wehrer#, M. and Slater$, L., 2015, Characterization of water content dynamics and tracer breakthrough by 3D electrical resistivity tomography (ERT) under transient unsaturated conditions, Water Resources Research, 51, doi:10.1002/2014WR016131.
39. Heenan*, J., Slater$, L., Ntarlagiannis, D., Atekwana, E., Fathepure, B., Dalvi, S. Ross, C., Werkema, D. and E. Atekwana, 2015, Electrical Resistivity Imaging for Long Term Autonomous Monitoring of Hydrocarbon Degradation: Lessons from the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, Geophysics, 80, 1(2015); pp. B1-B11, doi: 10.1190/geo2013-0468.1
40. Yu*,Z. Slater$, L., Schafer, K., Reeve, A. and Varner, R., 2014, Dynamics of methane ebullition from a peat monolith revealed from a dynamic flux chamber system, J. Geophys. Res. Biogeosci., 119, 1789–1806, doi:10.1002/2014JG002654.
41. Singha, K., Day-Lewis, F.D., Johnson, T. and Slater, L.D., Advances in interpretation of subsurface processes with time-lapse electrical imaging, 2014, Hydrol. Process., doi: 10.1002/hyp.10280
42. Slater$, L., W. Barrash, J. Montrey*, and A. Binley (2014), Electrical-hydraulic relationships observed for unconsolidated sediments in the presence of a cobble framework, Water Resour. Res., 50, 5721–5742, doi:10.1002/2013WR014631.
43. Placencia*, E. and Slater$, L., 2014, Electrochemical SIP modeling of artificial sulfide-sand mixtures, Geophysics, 79(6), EN91-EN106, doi: 10.1190/geo2014-0034.1
44. Bon, C.E., Reeve, A.S., Slater, L. and X. Comas, 2014, Using hydrologic measurements to investigate free phase gas ebullition in a maine peatland, USA, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 18, 953–965.
45. Atekwana, E.A., Mewafy, F.M, Abdel Aal, G., Werkema Jr, Revil, A and Slater$, L., 2014, High-resolution magnetic susceptibility measurements for investigating magnetic mineral formation during microbial mediated iron reduction J. Geophys. Res. Biogeosci., 119, 80–94, doi:10.1002/2013JG002414.
46. Comas, X., Kettridge, N., Binley, A., Slater, L., Parsekian*, A., Baird, A. J., Strack, M. and Waddington, J. M., 2013, The effect of peat structure on the spatial distribution of biogenic gases within bogs. Hydrological Processes doi: 10.1002/hyp.10056.
47. Heenan*, J., Porter, A., Ntarlagiannis, D., Young, L., Werkema, D., and Slater, L. 2013, Sensitivity of the spectral induced polarization method to microbial enhanced oil recovery processes. Geophysics, 78(5), E261–E269. doi: 10.1190/geo2013-0085.1 ss
48. Personna*, Y., Slater$, L., Ntarlagiannis, D., Werkema, D. and Z. Szabo, 2013, Complex resistivity signatures of ethanol biodegradation in porous media, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 153, 37–50
49. Mewafy, F. M., Werkema Jr, D. D., Atekwana, E. A., Slater$, L. D., Abdel Aal, G., Revil, A., & Ntarlagiannis, D., 2013, Evidence that biometallic mineral precipitation enhances the complex conductivity response at a hydrocarbon contaminated site, Journal of Applied Geophysics, 98, 113-123.
50. Rittgers, J., Revil, A., Karoulis, M., Mooney, M., Slater, L. and Atekwana, A., Self-potential signals generated by the corrosion of buried metallic objects with application to contaminant plumes, 2013, Geophysics, 78, 5, 1–18, doi: 10.1190/GEO2013-0033.1
51. Mwakanayamale*, K., Day Lewis, F.D. and Slater$, L., 2013, Statistical mapping of zones of focused groundwater/surface-water exchange using fiber-optic distributed temperature sensing, Water Resources Research, 49(10), 6979-6984.
52. Weller A., L. Slater, and S. Nordsiek, 2013, On the relationship between induced polarization and surface conductivity: Implications for petrophysical interpretation of electrical measurements: Geophysics, 78, no. 5, D315–D325, doi: 10.1190/GEO2013-0076.1.
53. Elwaseif*, M. and Slater$, L., 2013, Reconstruction of discrete resistivity targets using coupled artificial neural networks and watershed algorithms, Near Surface Geophysics, 11(5), 417-530
54. Grunat*, D.A., Slater$, L.D. and Wehrer, M., 2013, Complex electrical measurements on an undisturbed soil core: Evidence for improved estimation of saturation degree from imaginary conductivity. Vadose Zone Journal, 12(4), doi:10.2136/vzj2013.03.0059
55. Personna*, Y.R., Slater$, L., Ntarlagiannis, D., Werkema, D. and Szabo, Z., 2013, Complex resistivity signatures of ethanol in sand-clay mixtures, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 149, 76-87
56. Placencia*, E., Slater, L., Ntarlagiannis, D. and Binley, 2013 A., Laboratory SIP signatures associated with oxidation of disseminated metal sulfides, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 148, 25–38, doi.org/10.1016/j.jconhyd.2013.02.007
57. Slater, L., & Atekwana, E. 2013, Geophysical Signatures of Subsurface Microbial Processes. Eos, Transactions AGU, 94(8), 77-78.
58. Loisel, J., Yu, Z., Parsekian*, A., Nolan*, J. and Slater, L,, 2013, Quantifying landscape morphology influence on peatland lateral expansion using ground penetrating radar (GPR) and peat core analysis, Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 118(2), 373-384
59. Robinson*, J., Johnson, T. and Slater$, L.D., 2013, Evaluation of known-boundary and resistivity constraints for improving cross-borehole DC electrical resistivity imaging of discrete fractures, Geophysics, 78(3), D115-D127, doi: 10.1190/geo2012-0333.1
60. Kemna, A., Binley, A., Cassiana, G., Niederleithinger, E., Revil, A., Slater, L., Williams, K.H., Flores Orozco, A., Haegel, F., Hordt, A., Kruschwitz, S., Leroux, V., Titov, K. and Zimmermann, E., 2012, An overview of the spectral induced polarization method for near-surface applications, Near Surface Geophysics, 10, 453-468, 10.3997/1873-0604.2012027
61. Personna*, Y., Slater, L$., Ntarlagiannis, D., Werkema, D. and Szabo, Z., 2012, Electrical signatures of ethanol-liquid mixtures: implications for monitoring biofuels migration in the subsurface, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 144, 99-107
62. Johnson, T.C., Versteeg, R.J., Rockhold, M., Slater, L.D., Ntarlagiannis, D., Greenwood, W.J. and J. Zachara, 2012, Characterization of a contaminated wellfield using 3D electrical resistivity tomography implemented with geostatistical, discontinuous boundary, and known conductivity constraints, Geophysics, 77, EN85-EN96, doi: 10.1190/GEO2012-0121.1
63. Zhang*, C., Slater, L. and Prodan, C.,2012, Complex dielectric properties of sulfate-reducing bacteria suspensions, Geomicrobiology Journal, 30, 6, 490-496, DOI:10.1080/01490451.2012.719997
64. Mwakanyamale*, K., Slater$, L., Binley, A. and Ntarlagiannis, D., 2012, Lithologic imaging using complex conductivity: Lessons learned from the Hanford 300 Area, Geophysics, 77, 6, E397–E409, doi: 10.1190/GEO2011-0407.1
65. Weller, A. and Slater, L., 2012, Salinity dependence of complex conductivity of unconsolidated and consolidated materials: comparisons with electrical double layer models, Geophysics, 77, 5, D185-D198
66. Ustra*, A., L. Slater$, D. Ntarlagiannis, and V. Elis. 2012, Spectral Induced Polarization (SIP) signatures of clayey soils containing toluene, Near Surface Geophysics, 10, no. 6, 503-515.
67. Parsekian*, A., Slater$, L., Sebestyen, S., Kolka, R., Ntarlagiannis, D., Nolan, J. and Hanson, P.,2012, Uncertainty in peat volume and soil carbon estimated using ground-penetrating radar and probing, Soil Science Society of America Journal, 76, 1911-1918
68. Elwaseif*, M. and Slater, L., 2012, Improved resistivity imaging of targets with sharp boundaries using an iterative disconnect procedure, Journal of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, 17, 2, 89-101
69. Johnson, T.J., Slater, L., Day-Lewis, F.D., Ntarlagiannis, D. and Elwaseif*, M., 2012, Monitoring groundwater/surface-water interaction using time-series and time-frequency analysis of transient three-dimensional electrical resistivity changes, Water Resources Research, Vol. 48, No. 7, W07506, doi: 10.1029/2012WR011893
70. Zhang*, C., Slater, L., Redden, G., Fujita, Y., Johnson, T. and Fox, D., 2012, Spectral induced polarization signatures of hydroxide adsorption and mineral precipitation in porous media, Environmental Science and Technology, doi: 10.1021/es204404e
71. Mwakanyamale*, K., Slater$, L., Day-Lewis, F.D., Ntarlagiannis, D. and Johnson, C., 2012, Spatially variable stage-driven groundwater-surface water interaction inferred from time-frequency analysis of distributed temperature sensing data, Geophysical Research Letters,, 39, 6, doi:10.1029/2011GL050824
72. Parsekian,* A., Slater$, L. and Schafer, K., 2012, Small root biomass effect on the dielectric properties of soil, Vadose Zone Journal, doi:10.2136/vzj2011.0049
73. Robinson*, J., Slater$, L. and Schafer, K., 2012, Evidence for spatial variability in hydraulic redistribution within an oak–pine forest from resistivity imaging, Journal of Hydrology, Volumes 430–431, 2, 69–79, doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2012.02.002
74. Parsekian*, A., Slater$, L. and Gimenez, D., 2012, Application of ground penetrating radar to measure near-saturation soil water content in peat soils, Water Resources Research, W02533, 9 PP. doi:10.1029/201WR011303
75. Mewafy, F., Atekwana, A., Werkema, D.D., Slater, L., Ntarlagiannis, D., Revil, A., Skold, M. and Delin, G., 2011, Magnetic susceptibility as a proxy for investigating microbial mediated iron reduction, Geophysical Research Letters, Vol. 38, L21402, doi:10.1029/2011GL049271
76. Comas, X., Slater$, L. and Reeve, A., 2011, Atmospheric pressure drives changes in the vertical distribution of biogenic free-phase gas in a northern peatland, Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences, 116, G04014, doi:10.1029/2011JG001701
77. Parsekian*, A., Jones, B., Jones, M., Grosse, G., Walter, K. and Slater, L., 2011, Expansion rate and geometry of floating vegetation mats on the margins of thermokarst lakes, northern Seward Peninsula, Alaska, USA, Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 36, 14, 1889-1897, DOI: 10.1002/esp.2210
78. Weller, A., Breede, K., Slater, L. and Nordsiek, S., 2011, Effect of changing water salinity on complex conductivity spectra of sandstones, Geophysics, 76, F315 (2011); http://dx.doi.org/10.1190/geo2011-0072.1
79. Parsekian*, A. D., X. Comas, L. Slater$, and P. H. Glaser, 2011, Geophysical evidence for the lateral distribution of free phase gas at the peat basin scale in a large northern peatland, Journal of Geophysical Research,116, G03008, doi:10.1029/2010JG001543.
80. Comas, X., Slater$, L. and Reeve, A., 2011, Pool patterning in a northern peatland: Geophysical evidence for the role of postglacial landforms, Journal of Hydrology, 399, Vols. 1-4, 173-184
81. Franz*, T.E., Nolan, J., Nordbotten, J.M., Caylor, K.K. and Slater, L.D., 2011, Quantifying transient soil moisture dynamics using multipoint direct-current resistivity in homogeneous sand, Vadose Zone Journal, February 2011, v. 10, 286-298, doi:10.2136/vzj2010.0031.
82. Davis*, C., Slater, L., Kulessa, B., Ferguson, A.S., Atekwana, E., Doherty, R. and Kalin, B., 2010, Self-potential (SP) signatures associated with an injection experiment at an in-situ biological permeable reactive barrier (PRB), Near Surface Geophysics, 8, 6, 541-551
83. Slater$, L. D., D. Ntarlagiannis, F. D. Day-Lewis, K. Mwakanyamale*, R. J. Versteeg, A. Ward, C. Strickland, C. D. Johnson, and J. W. Lane, Jr., 2010, Use of electrical imaging and distributed temperature sensing methods to characterize surface water–groundwater exchange regulating uranium transport at the Hanford 300 Area, Washington, Water Resour. Res., 46, W10533, doi:10.1029/2010WR009110.
84. Zhang*, C., Ntarlagiannis, D., Slater$, L. and Doherty, R., 2010, Monitoring microbial sulfate reduction in porous media using multi-purpose electrodes, Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 115, G00G09, 11 pp. doi:10.1029/2009JG001157
85. Knight, R., Pyrak-Nolte, L. Slater, L., Atekwana, E., Endres, A., Gelhar, J., Lesmes, D., Nakagawa, S., Revil, A., Sharma, M. and Straley, A., 2010, Geophysics at the interface: Response of geophysical properties to solid-fluid, fluid-fluid and solid-solid interfaces, Reviews of Geophysics, 48, doi:10.1029/2007RG000242
86. Weller, A., Slater, L., Nordsiek, S. and Ntarlagiannis, D., 2010, On the estimation of specific surface per unit pore volume from induced polarization: a robust empirical relation fits multiple datasets, Geophysics, 75, 4 p., WA105-WA112, doi: 10.1190/1.3471577
87. Elwaseif*, M. and Slater$, L.,2010, Quantifying tomb geometries in resistivity images using watershed algorithms, Journal of Archaeological Science, 37, 1424-1436
88. Parsekian*, A., Slater$, L., Comas, X. and Glaser, P., 2010, Variations in free phase gases in peat landforms determined by ground penetrating radar, J. Geophys. Res., 115, G02002,
89. Atekwana, A. and Slater, L.,2009, Biogeophysics: A new frontier in earth science research, Reviews of Geophysics, 47, doi:10.1029/2009RG000285
90. Chen, J., Hubbard, S.S., Williams, K.H., Pride, S., Li, L. and Slater, L.,2009, A state-space Bayesian framework for estimating biogeochemical transformations using time-lapse geophysical data, Water Resources Research, 45, W08420, doi:10.1029/2008WR007698
91. Slater$, L. D., F. D. Day-Lewis, D. Ntarlagiannis, M. O'Brien*, and N. Yee, 2009, Geoelectrical measurement and modeling of biogeochemical breakthrough behavior during microbial activity, Geophys. Res. Lett., 36, L14402, doi:10.1029/2009GL038695.
92. Wu*, Y., Versteeg, R., Slater, L. and LaBrecque, D., 2009, Calcite precipitation dominates the electrical signatures of zero valent iron columns under simulated field conditions, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 106, 131-143
93. Wishart*, D.N., Slater$, L.D., Schnell, D.L. and Herman, G.C., 2009, Hydraulic anisotropy characterization of pneumatic-fractured sediments using azimuthal self potential gradient, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 103, 134–144
94. Kettridge, N., Comas, X., Baird, A., Slater, L., Strack, M., Thompson, D., Jol, H. and Binley, A., 2008, Ecohydrologically-important subsurface structures in peatlands revealed by ground-penetrating radar and complex resistivity surveys, Journal of Geophysical Research, 113, G04030, doi:10.1029/2008JG000787
95. Wishart#, D.N., Slater$, L. and Gates, A., 2008, Fracture anisotropy characterization in crystalline bedrock using field-scale azimuthal self potential gradient (ASPG), Journal of Hydrology, 358, 35-45
96. Personna*, Y., Ntarlagiannis#, D., Slater$, L., Yee, N., O’Brien*, M. and Hubbard, S., 2008, Spectral induced polarization and electrodic potential monitoring of microbially-mediated iron sulfide transformations, Journal of Geophysical Research, 113, G02020, doi:10.1029/2007JG000614
97. Robinson, D.A., Binley, A., Crook, N., Day-Lewis, F., Ferre, P.T., Grauch, V.J.S., Knight, R., Knoll, M., Lakshmi, V., Miller, R., Nyquist, J., Pellerin, L., Singha, K. and Slater, L, 2008, Advancing process-based watershed hydrological research using near-surface geophysics: A vision for, and review of, electrical and magnetic geophysical methods, Hydrological Processes, 22, 18, 3604-3635
98. Slater$, L., Ntarlagiannis#, D., Yee, N., O’Brien*, M, Zhang*, C. and Williams, K.H., 2008, Electrodic voltages in the presence of dissolved sulfide: Implications for monitoring natural microbial activity, Geophysics, 73, 2, F65-F70.
99. Comas#, X., Slater$, L. and Reeve, A., 2008, Seasonal geophysical monitoring of biogenic gasses in a northern peatland: implications for temporal and spatial variability in free phase gas production rates, Journal of Geophysical Research, 113, G01012, doi:10.1029/2007JG000575
100.Wu*, Y., Slater, L., LaBrecque, D. and Versteeg, R., 2008, A comparison of the low frequency electrical signatures of iron oxide versus calcite precipitation in granular zero valent iron columns, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 95, 154-167
101.Slater$, L., Ntarlagiannis*, D., Personna*, Y.R. and Hubbard, S.S., 2007, Pore-scale spectral induced polarization signatures associated with FeS biomineral transformations, Geophysical Research Letters, 34, L21404, doi 10.1029/2007GL031840
102.Slater$, L., Comas*, X., Ntarlagiannis*, D. and Roy Moulik*, M., 2007, Resistivity-based monitoring of biogenic gasses in peat soils, Water Resources Research, 43, W10430, doi:10.1029/2007WR006090
103.Slater, L., 2007, Near surface electrical characterization of hydraulic conductivity: from petrophysical properties to aquifer geometries - a review, Surveys in Geophysics, 28, 169-197
104.Mansoor*, N. and Slater$, L., 2007, Aquatic electrical resistivity imaging of shallow-water wetlands, Geophysics, 72, 5, F211-221
105.Comas#, X. and Slater$, L., 2007, Evolution of biogenic gasses in peat blocks inferred from noninvasive dielectric permittivity measurements, Water Resources Research, 43, W05424, doi:10.1029/2006WR005562
106.Comas#, X., Slater$, L. and Reeve, A., 2007, In situ monitoring of free-phase gas accumulation and release in peatlands using ground penetrating radar (GPR), Geophysical Research Letters, 34, L06402, doi:10.1029/2006GL029014
107.Mansoor*, N. and Slater$, L., 2007, On the relationship between iron concentration and induced polarization in marsh soils, Geophysics, 72, 1, A1-A5.
108.Davis, C.A.*, Atekwana, E., Atekwana, E., Slater, L., Rossbach, S. and Mormile, M.R., 2006, Microbial growth and biofilm formation in geologic media is detected with complex conductivity measurements, Geophysical Research Letters, 33, L18403, doi:10.1029/2006GL027312
109.Slater$, L. and Binley, A., 2006, Synthetic and field based electrical imaging of a zerovalent iron barrier: Implications for monitoring long-term barrier performance, Geophysics, 71, 5, B129-B137.
110.Wishart*, D., Slater$, L. and Gates, A., 2006, Self potential improves characterization of hydraulically-active fractures from azimuthal geoelectrical measurements, Geophysical Research Letters, 33, L17314, doi:10.1029/2006GL027092.
111.Mansoor*, N., Slater$, L., Auken, E. and Artigas, F., 2006, High-resolution geophysical characterization of shallow-water wetlands, Geophysics, 71, 4, B101-B109.
112.Abdel-Aal*, G., Slater, L. and Atekwana, E. 2006, Induced-polarization measurements on unconsolidated sediments from a site of active hydrocarbon biodegradation, Geophysics, 71, 2, H13-H24.
113.Slater$, L., Ntarlagiannis*, D. and Wishart*, D., 2006, On the relationship between induced polarization and surface area in metal-sand and clay-sand mixtures, Geophysics, 71, 2, A1-A5.
114.Wu*, Y, Slater$, L. and Korte, N., 2006,
· Associate Editor, Water Resources Research, 01/01/14-present
· Past-President, Environmental and Engineering Geophysical Society (EEGS)